Embracing Exhaustion: It’s What Mileage Whores Do

Elliot is clearly all tuckered out. Like me. Only he's far fuzzier. And purrier.

Note to my readers: today’s post is divided into two parts; those events that occurred before sprint training on Tuesday night, and those events that happened during and after sprint training on Tuesday night. You’ve been duly warned.

Prior to Sprint Training

I woke today exhausted. I’m not quite sure why. I think it has to do with my damn hernia, as it was acting up in a large way this morning. Perhaps my hernia knows that it is about to be kicked to the curb via surgery on Friday. Perhaps it wants to reassert its hold on me for the last few days. Or perhaps it’s just a giant ass-hat douche-bag that likes to torture me for no good reason. I’m thinking it’s the latter reason, but I digress.

Despite waking exhausted, I knew today was going to be busy. Not just work busy, but active busy. And as much as I could tell that my body just didn’t want to do what I had in store for it, I also had in my mind the knowledge that come Friday I wouldn’t be able to do much of anything. You see, I feel compelled to torture my body in order to make up for my lazing about post surgery. I wish I could tell you that I don’t believe that healing and such is lazing about, but for whatever reason in my head, that is the case. I’m trying to work through that.

So what did I have in store for myself that had me dreading my busy day? Well, today would start with a bike before work, then work followed by another bike, a short rest, more biking, sprint training, biking again, an hour of hot yoga, a final bike ride, then home for a bit of work, finally ending in an hour of down time.

While this might seem a bit crazy, it’s not nearly as painful as it sounds. Seriously. Anyway, as of writing this section, I’ve already completed the first bike, work, bike, rest section. I’m just about to start the bike, run, bike, yoga, bike, work, rest part of my day.

Post Sprint Training

I am flipping exhausted. That is all.

Okay. That is not all exactly. The sprint training today was a timed 3km run. That means 7.5 times around the track. When I arrived, I met up with Carolyn and we both mentioned how we weren’t quite feeling it. Of course, that is a mixture of nerves and such getting in the way of accepting that we are far better than we think we are. Regardless, we had decided that we were going to take an easy run, but then realized that the run was timed with chips. That put this into the realm of competition, not just casual running with a group of random stranger-friends.

When we started the run, Carolyn and I chatted a bit and got our pace. And then something clicked and we just started going. Now, keep in mind we were running with the second group of runners – that is, those that expected to finish the 3km in more than 15 minutes. I fully expected to do the 3km in less than that, however I arrived late so wasn’t able to run with the faster group. Also, truth be told, I was a bit freaked out to put myself into that class of runner. For some reason there is also a part of me that feels that they are elite runners and that I’m not quite there. Yet.

Regardless, we ran. And then we ran faster. And faster still. At some point I realized I was passing most everyone and was in 6th position. And then 5th. Before I knew it I had comfortably passed everyone and was running directly behind the 1st place runner. I’m sure she could hear me breathing down her neck. We had 2 laps to go so I figured I’d just trail her to conserve my energy. And then we came to the last 200m. Both of us sprinted for the end. It was awesome. We were feeding off of each other’s competitiveness and that pushed both of us to new heights. Ultimately, I came in second, but it was a close second. I believe my time was 13:30’ish, but the exact times haven’t been posted yet. I’ll keep you posted when they are.

After cooling off a touch, we followed up our 3000 m with two 800 m runs. The first was clocked at 3:30, the second at 3:21. Not too bad.

Following a bit of stretching with Carolyn, I biked off to hot yoga while she started her run home. Yes, that’s correct folks, she is insane with awesome. Even better, she ran to the time trials. We both affectionately refer to ourselves as Mileage Whores. I really can’t think of a better name to describe us, nor could I be prouder of the title.

So now I’m home, quite tired, ready for a snack, and desperately wanting to crawl into bed to slip off into some far away land. In reality, I have a few minor things to take care of, some emails to deal with, and a short paper to read. Clearly, I’ll sleep when I’m dead. That’s what you do when you decide to embrace exhaustion.


6 Comments Add yours

  1. Carolyn says:

    I don’t think I’ll ever be “feeling” anything but nauseous before intervals. We did okay, though! My fragile ego is happy that I did not get lapped by you. =)

    1. dangillis says:

      I’d have to be far faster to lap you! But I agree – we’ll both probably still feel nauseous before any timed race. Or race involving other people. Whatever, we rock. 🙂

      1. Carolyn says:

        I’m an idiot – I just realized that the times are listed in finishing order. Meaning I was 3rd?! Not the closest 3rd but still…I felt like I was mid-packing the whole time. Perhaps we need to work less on our whore-ish mileage & more on our bloody confidence…lol.

        1. dangillis says:

          Probably. But ya – you rocked the run. Next time, we’ll be in positions 1 and 2 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s