And just like that another week has flown by. I’m completely exhausted, but in a good way. Between training, running back and forth to various meetings, teaching, preparing presentations, early mornings, late nights, and all the other fun, this week was a blast.
However, given the craziness of the week I think I forgot to mention something amazing!
That is, earlier this week I learned that I was given funding to hire an undergraduate research assistant (URA) this summer.
Yay – Minions!
*Ahem* I mean:
Yay – Wee Researchers!
I’m actually really stoked about this because I have so many projects that I’m trying to complete. I plan to have the URA extend some of the research that I’m currently doing which includes:
- a simulation study of metrics used in population level risk assessment,
- an investigation of the spatiotemporal distribution of a particular fish population,
- an investigation of the spatiotemporal distribution of larval fish,
- a review of an existing database used to house much of the data I work with,
- a simulation study of genetic data, and
- a risk assessment of harvest on wild populations of fish.
Of course, these aren’t my only projects. I’m also finalizing two papers related to scenario analyses, finishing edits on a third, updating some analyses for a fourth, waiting for edits from a co-author on a fifth, and have several students co-authoring 5 others. Crazy!
It should be noted that the URA will only work on one or two of these projects. But hopefully between the two of us we’ll be able to finish as much of this work as possible before the end of the summer. Additionally, I am also hoping to hire at least 2 other undergrads (I just have to find some funding). And, if things go extremely well, I’m going to try to garner some Mitacs funding for an MSc or PhD student. Wish me luck.
But all of this nerdery can wait because it’s Friday – Elliot is curled up next to me, and I have a scotch in hand. Life is good.
- Undergraduate Research Assistant Position Available (danielgillis.wordpress.com)
- How Does One Celebrate A Job-iversary? (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Expanding My Stats-dom (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Scientist Evaluates Need for Additional Considerations in Risk Assessment of GM Plants (isaaa.org)