For those thinking I might have forgotten, don’t worry, I didn’t.
You might be wondering What exactly could Dan have forgotten? Well, it’s highly unlikely – although I guess within the realm of possibility1 – but I could have forgotten the most sacred and holy of all math days in the entire year. That day of course is Pi-Day. The day when nerds of all sorts unite and celebrate that most awesome of numbers – .
Pi-Day officially arrives on Wednesday March 14, but I figured since we are already well into Pi-Eve (which actually started on the evening of the 10th – also known as the International Day of Awesomeness2), that I should probably remind all y’all, just in case you need to go out and do any necessary last-minute shopping.
You know – shopping for all the good little mathy nerds and geeks out there *cough*.
And because I’m extra thoughtful, I thought I’d provide you with a list of the best types of gifts to buy any and all mathy nerds and geeks in your lives. You are welcome.
Might I add that this list is in no way biased. Okay, maybe it’s a little biased.
Don’t fret though. If for whatever reason you can’t get out to pick up a gift for that special math nerd/geek in your life – because you are perhaps too busy preparing the Roast Beast for the giant Pi-Day feast, or perhaps because you are finishing up the traditional dessert of chocolate covered pie-in-a-cake, or perhaps because you are putting the last trimmings of Koch Snowflakes on the mantle, or even perhaps because you are in the middle of decanting the special Pi-Day wine into the Pi-Day Klein Bottle – know that hugs are also customary, and most definitely welcome.
Happy Pi-Eve everyone.
To prep you for Pi-Day, I offer you the following links. Enjoy.
- The Approximately 4 Pi days of Pi-Day3.
- The first ever Interweb Gansta Pi Off. Yes, this really happened.
- Test your knowledge of Pi with this Pi Quiz.
- Determine your Pi Age here.
- Guess who’s birthday falls on Pi-Day4?
- Guess who else’s birthday falls on Pi-Day5?
2 Yes, Pi-Eve and the International Day of Awesomeness occur on the same day. Your mind should be blown.
3 Yes, I really am this much of a nerd. I can’t believe you’re still surprised at this.
4 I know! Could this day get any more mathemagical?
5 You know – the Sierpiński triangle guy.
- How to celebrate Pi Day: The geekiest time of the year (thenextweb.com)
- Pi Day is What? (anomalousthoughts.wordpress.com)
- PI Day Is Just Around the Corner (petalumapie.wordpress.com)
- Pi Day is coming on 3/14! (thinkgeek.com)
- What Dates are Mathier than Pi Day? (mathjokes4mathyfolks.wordpress.com)
- Can I Get A Squee For Math? (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Pi Day Is Coming – But Tau Day Is Better (science.slashdot.org)