In case you had forgotten or in the event that you were completely unaware, tomorrow is a day that is sure to bring a smile to your face1.
For you see, dear readers, tomorrow is High-Five Day – the highest and five-iest of all days2. But tomorrow isn’t just any ordinary High-Five Day. Nope. Tomorrow is actually the 10th High-Five Day3. That’s 2 handfuls of fingers – the same number of fingers required for a High-Five. Clearly this makes tomorrow’s High-Five Day extra special.
What does this mean to us mere mortals?
It means that we should do everything in our power to high-five everyone we see.
Because high-fives bring joy to the world, and we all know that the world can use a huge helping of joy. So high-five every single success tomorrow, no matter how small or how large.
- Finished that insane report your boss dropped on your desk on Monday? High-five.
- Rescued a kitten from a tree? High-five.
- Walked to work smiling because you had girded your loins in big-boy underoos? Double high-five.
The point is – celebrate each and every success because sometimes we need to remind ourselves that life shouldn’t be taken too seriously. And sometimes, just sometimes, we need to be our own standing ovation4.
Of course, if you hate high-fives don’t feel obliged to partake in the actual activity of high-fiving. Perhaps identify yourself as someone who is high-five-phobic so that you aren’t accidentally face-fived or put in the awkward situation of leaving someone hanging. There’s nothing sadder than a high-five that goes unanswered.
Anyway – a super high-five to all of you. Especially you – the one in the funny animal underwear – you know who you are.
1 Unless of course you don’t like high-fives. But everyone loves a good high-five, right? *cough* Rick *cough*.
2 High-Five Day occurs on the 3rd Thursday of each and every April.
3 According to the interwebs, High-Five Day was invented in 2002 by several students at the University of Virginia.
4 My friend Jana taught me that. Smart woman that Jana.
- High Fives (datanotdate.com)
- Today, We Are All Americans High-Fiving Our Moms [World Cuppage] (deadspin.com)
- Thu 19th April, 2012 will be… High Five Day (punjapit.wordpress.com)
- Metapost: High fives, Wikipedia, and cancer-fightin’ (joshreads.com)