For whatever reason I decided that today I wanted to try to cross off item number 222 on my Not-So-Bucket-List list. That is, I wanted to try to run 5km in 20 minutes or less. In other words, I wanted to challenge myself to run each and every kilometre in 4 minutes or less.
But I have to say that I think it’s within the realm of possibility for me. I don’t mean for humans in general – I already know that people can achieve this pace. In fact, there are people out there who can run a full marathon – 42.2 kilometres – with an average pace that is way faster than this personal goal1.
Does that mean I should ignore or abandon my quest because someone else is faster than me? Hells no.
What this means is that I have not yet reached the limits of my abilities, so I need to keep pushing for bigger and better results. And for me, that’s a 5 km run in less than 20 minutes.
Sadly tonight’s attempt fell slightly short. The first mile of my run took about 7 minutes. After that, I paced at 6 minutes 11 seconds per mile. The result: 20 minutes 52 seconds. Close, but no donut. My pace: about 4 minutes 9 seconds. I’m not quite sure (as I can’t remember) if this is a personal best or not, but I know that it’s likely close.
Despite tonight’s failed attempt, I know that I’m getting closer to achieving this goal. It’s really only a matter of time. So be warned number 222 on my list, I’m coming for you. And trust me when I say that I’m going to crush you. I’m going to crush you real good.
1 That’s right folks, the fastest official marathon was 2 hours, 3 minutes and 38 seconds. In other words, that particular marathon was won with an average pace of approximately 2 minutes 56 seconds per kilometre. THAT IS INSANE!
- So. Freaking. Amazing. (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- I’ve Got This (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Yes, another one. (sarahmcow.com)
- Confessions of a Slow Poke Runner (fiercedivaguidetolife.typepad.com)
- Marathon vs. Ultra Marathon (dallanmanscill.com)
- The 45 minute barrier has been cracked again! (snowballsinwinter.wordpress.com)
- I Wonder Where I Am Right Now (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- I’ve Got The Runs (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- No bucket list for me! (brighterlife.ca)
- Fun Things For Kids To Do- Building A Summer Bucket List (jdaniel4smom.com)
- Filling the Bucket List (powerofslow.wordpress.com)