Kill Me Or Cure Me

I love my bib number because it reads the same upside down 🙂

I had a nap this evening1. It lasted only 20 minutes or so, but when I woke up I was fully discombobulated. I had no idea where I was, what I was doing, or what time it might have been. The only thing I recognized was the wee fuzzball who was softly purring as he nuzzled up in my arm.

I shook off the groggy feeling and realized I had missed a bunch of text messages. I slowly worked my way through them, trying to squint just the right amount to somehow make things clearer while I waited for my eyes to adjust to the light. I probably should have put my glasses on.

One message in particular jumped out at me. It was from my friend Amanda. She was wondering if I was going to be running tonight. Still slightly confused, nothing was coming to me. Did I make plans to run with Amanda tonight? Am I late? What the hell time is it? Why can’t I remember making plans?

After what seemed like an eternity, things started coming into focus. Tonight was the Guelph Classical 5km race. I hadn’t officially decided to run the race as I wasn’t sure if I was going to be in town. I sent Amanda a reply to find out when things were starting, but also letting her know that I wasn’t sure if I was going to run. I woke up not only groggy and discombobulated, but with rumblings that were the makings of a headache.

Text messages flew back and forth. Around 6:30 I suggested that I would think about the race and would let her know within 45 minutes regarding what I was going to do. I had assumed the headache was related to dehydration, so perhaps if I chugged a bunch of water in 45 minutes I’d be fine. Of course, the minute I wrote give me 45 minutes I was pretty much convinced that I was going to suck it up and run. I wrote back within minutes: Okay. Eff the headache, I’m in. I mean, the run was either going to kill me or cure me. So why wouldn’t I run?

And just like that, I was on my way downtown to run the Guelph Classical 5km. The race was a lot of fun, with Guelph Symphony Orchestra members playing at each of the kilometre markers. I was absolutely surprised and amazed at the number of people who came out to run. The event was very well-organized, and I’ll definitely be running it again next year.

Special thanks to the volunteers who were dealing with registration and bibs. Since the race was all very last-minute for me I hadn’t registered. I figured I’d register on site, but found out once there that they only accepted cash (I only had my credit card and debit card with me). Fortunately, one of the ladies working the tables allowed me to run, trusting that I would send a cheque or go online after the fact to pay the race fees.


Anyway, I’m home now. While I didn’t land a personal best, I’m very happy with my result considering I started the run with a headache. And even better, my headache is gone now.

Apparently running 5km was the cure I needed.

1 Once again, it was accidental and I completely blame Elliot for being such an awesome nap-buddy.

2 For the record, I’ve just sent off the payment via PayPal.


One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s