So remember yesterday when I mentioned how Rick had won the Big Mountain Challenge and that I would be joining him on an epic adventure to climb three mountain ranges while raising money for The Kidney Foundation of Canada?
Well, I’m still in shock about it. Obviously, so is Rick.
In all honesty, every time I think about this adventure I get a rather large and excessively stupid grin on my face. I’m sure people around me are likely assuming that I’m plotting something, or perhaps they think I’m insane, but I don’t care. We’re going to be climbing three awesome mountains, and we’re going to be raising a bunch of money for a worthwhile charity. How can I not be excited about that?
For those curious, the mountain ranges that we are climbing are
- Sulphur Mountain – 2451 metres (8,041 ft),
- Cascade Mountain – 2998 metres (9,836 ft), and
- Mount Temple – 3544 metres (11627 ft).
Each will offer their own unique view of Alberta, and each will also offer their own unique challenges. Rick has informed me that Mount Temple will require at least 8 or more hours of hiking and scrambling in order to reach the top. And based on what I’ve read, it’s going to be epic! I am so stoked I can hardly contain my excitement.
Of course, we won’t be hiking the mountains alone. Part of the prize includes a Certified Mountain Guide (Cascade Mountain, Mount Temple), and a Parks Canada Guide (Sulphur Mountain). So don’t worry Mom – I’m going to be safe and well taken care of. No need to worry.
In addition to the awesomeness that will be this adventure, there are several other amazing perks to winning this contest. For example, the prize also includes
- A roundtrip flight from Toronto to Calgary,
- A Parks Canada Discovery Pass,
- Spa days at the Willow Stream Spa at The Fairmont Banff Springs, and
- 8 nights at The Fairmont Banff Springs and The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
So. Freaking. Awesome!
I’ve never had a spa day so I have no idea what to expect. I’m sure after hiking for 8+ hours, a spa day will be just what the doctor ordered. I assume it’ll involve a massage, perhaps a sauna, and various other activities meant to make all the aches and pains and creakiness go away. And I fully approve of anything that does that.
As for spending 8 nights in The Fairmont Banff Springs and The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise hotels, all I can say is holy freaking luxuriousness. I can’t even begin to imagine how awesome that is going to be.
In addition to all of this awesome, we also get to raise a butt load of money for The Kidney Foundation of Canada. And that dear readers is a level of awesome I can’t even begin to describe.
As I mentioned yesterday, I’ll keep you posted on all of the details as they become available, especially the fundraising campaign. All I know is that this adventure is going to be amazing. And it all starts on August 27th.
I can’t freaking wait.
- Banff National Park’s $25,000 Big Mountain Challenge Winner Passes Torch to Runner-Up (prnewswire.com)
- The Fairmont Banff Springs Details (fairmont.com)
- Banff Hotel Spa | Banff Spas | Spas in Banff (fairmont.com)
- Oot and Aboot in Banff – Banff, Canada (travelpod.com)
- A Big Mountain Challenge Is Calling My Name (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- My Freaking Out Face Is Terrible (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Fifteen Minutes Of Fame For Charity (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)