I actually forgot today was Halloween until one of my students arrived to class covered in blood. I’m not sure what’s more alarming; my lack of surprise, or the fact that I had forgotten it was Halloween.
I’m going to blame my lack of awareness on one simple fact – I’ve been busy playing with equations and numbers and other mathematical and statistical bric-a-brac. So much so, that I’ve actually forgotten to eat on a number of occasions. I may have had lunch at 3:30 yesterday. Epic lunch fail, perhaps, but then again – math!
Of course, forgetting that today was Halloween was not the only thing that slipped my mind. Since I hadn’t realized that today was October 31st, I also hadn’t realized that tomorrow is November 1st. Go figure.
Why does this matter?
It matters because tomorrow is the start of two rather important month-long events. The first is Movember; which means I’ll be starting up my 2nd Annual Movember Best-of-the-‘staches Contest. The rules are posted below, and as with last year – if anyone else wants to get on board with a donation-as-prize-to-the-porn-‘stachiest-‘stache out there, just let me know. Please feel free to spread the word about the contest.
The second event that starts tomorrow is the aptly named November Three-Way Challenge of Awesomeness – which is described in detail here by Dr. Beth. The idea is similar to the May Health Challenge from back in the old-time-y days of May, except instead of doing something healthy every day for the month of May, we’re doing something healthy every day for the month of November. You should join us.
The contest itself is simple: I will award a $100 donation to whomever has the most amazing moustache by 8pm Eastern November 27, 2012. To enter, simply send me your Movember Canada donation page with a picture of your clean-shaven face dated November 1 (or later). On November 27 (by 8pm Eastern), I’ll ask each entrant to send me an updated photo of their mustachioed face. Entries can be sent to consumedbywanderlust [dot] wordpress [at] gmail [dot] com.
I’ll set up a page at Consumed By Wanderlust with all the entrants’ initial photos, their donation pages, and their final mustachioed photos. Between November 28 and November 29, I will ask my readers to select their favourite moustaches. The top 5 will make it to the finals. Another poll will be held on November 30, where my readers will again be asked to select their favourite moustache of the 5 finalists. The person on the 30th who has the most votes will win.
Entries will be accepted up until 8pm Eastern, November 14, 2011.
- You MUST be registered with Movember Canada. That is, you must be able to send me a link to your personal donation page. I will be donating online, and only online.
- You MUST submit a clean-shaven photo (dated November 1, 2011 or later) by 8pm Eastern, November 14, 2011.
- You CAN submit a photo of your moustache in progress (by 8pm Eastern, November 14, 2011).
- You MUST submit a final mustachioed photo (by 8pm Eastern, November 27, 2011).
- You CAN submit either a 140 character (tweet style) blurb about your moustache, or a single haiku about your moustache, or about moustaches in general.
- You MUST submit either a Twitter handle or email address so that I can contact you if you win (and also to remind you about the second photo required by the 27th).
- If you are selected as the winner, you MUST provide me with a photo that you are still mustachioed on November 30th, when the prize will be awarded. That is, to collect the prize, you can’t have shaved until after the prize is awarded. If you have shaved prior to the prize being awarded, you forfeit the prize and it will go to the finalist with the second largest number of votes.
- That’s it. Good luck to all the entrants.
Oh, and to my readers – should you want to sweeten this pot and create second or third prizes, or a special prize (such as widest moustache, thickest moustache, most pathetic moustache, etc.), just let me know. Perhaps we can raise a lot more than the $100 donation that I’m offering, and we can have a lot of fun in the process.
- The Shah’s pledge to rock a Moustache for Movember! (blankpagebeatdown.wordpress.com)
- Halloween! (escapisming.wordpress.com)
- Movember 2012 – The Day Before Tomorrow (armaitus.wordpress.com)
- Movember is Moustache Movie Madness! (blankpagebeatdown.wordpress.com)
- Sneak Preview of Our Upcoming Halloween Template (dmxzone.com)