Remember yesterday how I rambled on and on about being a big waste of carbon?
Okay, maybe I didn’t specifically write that I was a big waste of carbon, but given how lazy I felt and the less than A-Game I put forth for the Three-way Challenge of Awesomeness, I’d be hard pressed to provide an argument proving that the carbon in my body was being used as productively as possible.
Today I took the first steps to correct this problem. And by that, I mean that I finally got my ass off of the couch and onto the treadmill1. This is only the first of many steps over the next 6 weeks to get myself prepared and feeling strong enough to run the Goofy race2. And I will do it.
Of course, the next 6 weeks are going to be challenging. Beyond the fact that December is an I’d better wear my eating pants kind of month, the running schedule is going to be blistering. Tomorrow, for example, I really need to spend about 2 hours running since today I ran for 1 hour. I figure that the best prep for the Goofy race is to run a particular distance or time, and then double it the next day.
With this in mind, I figure that my tentative weekend running schedule is going to look something like this:
- December 2/3 – run 1 hour (~12 km)/2 hours (at least 21.1 km)
- December 8/9 – run 12 km/24 km
- December 15/16 – run 15 km/30 km
- December 22/23 – run 15 km/30 km
- December 29/30 – run 17 km/34 km
- January 5/6 – run 17 km/34 km
- January 12/13 – run 21.1 km/42.2 km
If I stick to this schedule I’ll run at least 324 kilometres in 6 weeks. I write at least because there should also be shorter runs between these – some for speed, some for hills, and some for recovery. After the 6th of January, however, I’ll be completely tapering so that my legs are perfectly rested for Goofy.
Whatever happens over the next 6 weeks, I know that I’ve got this. I owe it to the sixth element because the carbon in my body deserves to be useful.
1 I realize that I’m making it seem like I did absolutely nothing during November. I know that isn’t the case, but I need to embrace the kick-ass take names later attitude; think of it as momentum to get me through the next month and the upcoming Goofy race.
2 Holy hell, the race is in 6 weeks. EEP.
- Getting My Groove Back (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- This Is What Happens When Life Happens. (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Suck It Up Buttercup (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- I Have A Weird Sense Of Fun (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Pick It Up Buttercup (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)
- Hulk Smash! (consumedbywanderlust.wordpress.com)