Mother Nature has decided that it’s probably best if I stay in Happy Valley-Goose Bay for a little while longer than I had anticipated. Also, in case it wasn’t obvious, I’m currently in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

As I described on my other more professional blog, I arrived in Happy Valley-Goose Bay via a glorified metal lawn dart early Monday morning with the good Dr Jason (CTO for, and Nic (grad student extraordinaire), for an all-day eNuk and mobile mesh planning and scoping meeting. Despite the exhaustion felt by all of us after spending a weekend on campus for the Improve Life Challenge, we managed to kick butt and achieve all the objectives of our meeting. I may have also eaten my weight in homemade chicken soup and redberry tarts (courtesy of Voisey’s Bakery) before we finally returned to our home-away-from-home to crash.

View this post on Instagram

Watching the sun rise over Labrador.

A post shared by Dan Gillis (@dangillis) on

Given my sleep-deprived state, much of the remainder of Monday remains a blur. I remember that it involved more chicken soup and redberry tarts (because chicken soup and redberry tarts), attempting to draft some blog posts, sorting through email, and organizing files on my computer. Apart from successfully eating the soup and tarts, I’m not sure how well I accomplished the other goals.

Whatever the case, this trip was to be a quick one; fly in early Monday morning, fly out early Wednesday morning. If you’re keeping up with the timeline, early Wednesday morning would be now. And since I’m currently cozied up on the couch with a coffee and some toast as my fingers poke away at my keyboard as I draft this post, I’m very clearly not meeting the milestones of my original itinerary.

View this post on Instagram

A wee bit of snow.

A post shared by Dan Gillis (@dangillis) on

The problem, you see, is that Mother Nature has decided to drop a doozy of a winter storm across most of the east coast. Halifax – our first stop on our return flight home – is essentially shut down. And because a storm at our first destination isn’t quite enough, Mother Nature has thrown in for good measure a storm here in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Lots of snow and lots of wind are expected all throughout the day. As such, the combination of weather here and there has meant the first leg of our flight was cancelled.

Fortunately, I’m not concerned because, as I said, I’m cozied up on the couch with a coffee and some toast. I’m also not concerned because I’ve already managed to rebook our flights. With any luck, we’ll be flying to St. John’s tonight, spending about 5 hours on a layover before we board yet another shiny metal lawn dart on our way back to Toronto, arriving at some ungodly early hour Thursday morning.

While this is the new plan, I’m not really convinced it’s going to happen. I have a feeling that Mother Nature isn’t quite finished with us yet.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.