On February 2 I posted about RunKeeper. Since then, just over 90 days have passed (approximately 1/4 of a year). Given that, I felt obliged to update you on my progress, or lack thereof.
You may recall that I had set several goals for this year as described in the epic blog entry entitled Four Fifths The Man I Used To Be Means My Awesome Is 25% More Concentrated (okay, maybe not so epic, but it was a blog entry). Specifically, my goals were to walk 1,800 km, bike 2,000 km, run 500 km, and spend 20,000 minutes practicing yoga over the course of the year. Put another way, that means that I need to log 4.93 km of walking, 5.48 km of biking, 1.37 km of running, and 54.79 minutes of yoga each and every day.
Clearly I must be insane. Looking at this now, I’m not really sure how feasible those numbers are. It usually takes me about 50 minutes to walk about 5 km. Biking 5 km takes about 15 minutes. Running 1.5 km takes about 8 minutes. Add that all up and include the yoga, and we are talking over 2 hours of activity every day. Hmmm. I may have to reconsider these values. Or perhaps I’ll say screw it and try to reach my goals regardless. Ya, that sounds more like it. W00t!
Anyway, back in the old-time-y days of February 2, 2011, I had managed to hit 315 activities (running, walking, hiking, biking), had covered almost 3,000 km, and burned over 100,000 Calories.
Results as of February 1, 2011
In the 90 odd days that have passed, I have added
- 91 activities (not including yoga),
- approximately 650 km, and
- about 35,176 Calories.
Results as of May 4, 2011
Now of course, the information that I have stored in RunKeeper is cumulative. Unfortunately this means that obtaining statistics for a particular time period are not possible (at least, not that I am aware). Thankfully, as a full-fledged nerd I record a spreadsheet of all my activities so that I can figure out other statistics and make pretty graphs. Ya, I really am that much of a nerd. Anyway, based on the crunching of numbers within my spreadsheet-o-activity I know that between January 1, 2011 and February 1, 2011 I logged 176 km walking, 0 km biking, 15 km running, and 955 minutes practicing yoga. The spreadsheet also tells me that between January 1, 2011 and May 4th, 2011 I have walked approximately 602 km, biked 0 km, ran 237 km, and spent about 5345 minutes practicing yoga.
But how does this measure up? That is, given the fact that about 34% of the year has passed, one might wonder if I am on track to reach my ever so lofty goals? With a little number crunching, here are the results:
- Walking – based on my current pace, I expect to hit ~1770 km (off my goal by 30 km? I can fix that.)
- Biking – clearly the weather hasn’t been biking friendly of late. As soon as it is, I am going to have to do a lot of work to hit 2000 km. Assuming that I can bike every day in the summer, and assuming the summer is only 90 days, that means I need to bike 22.22 km per day (or about an hour). Crikey.
- Running – based on my current pace, I expect to hit ~697 km (exceeding my goal by almost 200 km – AWESOME).
- Yoga – based on my current pace, I expect to hit 15,721 minutes (off my goal by slightly more than 71 hours). Of course, I have a few things planned in the summer that should help bring this up a notch. Hopefully the goal is still attainable.
So there you have it. Overall, I’m not doing nearly as bad as I thought I might be doing. Walking and running are both on track. Yoga is off a bit, but probably nothing I can’t fix. And biking, well biking will have to wait until the weather gets better and my bike is tuned up.